Did you know that dates have a glycemic index higher than sugar? Yup, they clock in at 103. Which means that they can be used to fix a low really fast. That being said, I am named for dates, (Tamara is the palm tree of dates: it's biblical) and I do love them, I used to particularly love date squares, the 'carré aux dattes' however, dates are about 16g carb each so the carbs add up fast. I have found a good substitue for my version of date squares, I either use a blend of dried fruit which I soak in boiling water and purée, or, I use baby food: the fastest solution and tatiest option yet!
Base and topping
- 1/2 cup Robin Hood Nutriflour 44g carbs
- 1/2cup soy flour 23g carbs
- 1 cup rolled oats 56g carb
- 2/3 cup splenda or stevia (16g carbs for splenda -0g for stevia)
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/3 cup canola oil(that's 5 Tbsp so 5 portions of fat, I count as 48g Fat)
-1 Tbsp honey 16g carb
2 and 1/2 small jars of prune baby food (I like the president's choice organic prune and pear) 60g carb
1. pre-heat oven to 350F
2. spray a 9''x9'' baking pan
3. combine all the dry ingredients until crumbly
4. press half of this into the pan
5. spread the filling
6. sprinkle the other half of the mix on top (squeezing to form clumps)
bake for 25min until golden
Total carb count: 215g carb and 48g fat
I cut into about 25squares (that's 9g carb per quare; I eat 2 as a portion) Serve cool.
I love this recipe, so delicious!