Friday, October 1, 2010

Carrots and baking for 2 types of eaters!!!

Last week we went grocery shopping and they had these massive bags of carrots, onions, and beets.  All looked so good we bought one of each.

I was inspired to bake carrot muffins.  It occurs to me that in the future will need to bake with sugar so the baby can eat it too.  I have a plan though! I will buy 2 brand new identical bowls.  I will mix the recipe without any sweetener of any kind.  Then I will weigh the empty bowl and hit zero on my scale, then I will put the bowl filled with batter on the scale (because of the bowl switcheroo, now my scale will show only the weight of the batter).  I will then remove a third of the batter.  THEN, I will sweeten the larger portion with raw sugar (for my husband and baby) and I will sweeten my portion with splenda.  SO, if the recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar (which is 16 TBSP), my portion will be 5Tbsp + 1tsp of Splenda, and their portion will be 10Tbsp + 2tsp of sugar.
Sounds good in theory, but we'll see...

OK, so I baked Carrot muffins!  Normally I use pineapple chunks, but didn't have any so added a grated apple instead (the bruised apple in my fridge got a chance to shine!).

Carrot Muffins
The wet ingredients:
2 eggs  protein
1/2 cup canola oil  8 portions of fat
1/2cup unsweet vanilla almond milk  1g carb
1tsp vanilla

The fruits & veggies:
1 small apple peeled and grated 15g carb
1 cup grated carrots (basically 1 big fat carrot) 15g carb

The dry ingredients (sift these together):
1 cup Robin Hood nutri flour 88g carbs
1/4 cup soy flour 11g carb
1/4 cup rolled oats 13g carb
1 cup Splenda 24g carb
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with Pam and set aside.  In a large bowl, beat eggs with oil.  Add soy milk, vanilla and beat well.  Add in the fruits & veggies and mix well.  Then add in all the dry ingredients at once and just mix to combine.  Spoon into a the muffin pan (I actually got 11 muffins)

Bake at 350F for 30 min.
Carb count is 15g per muffin

I've been eating 2 for breakfast.  So nice not to have to think about what to eat!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment